Wednesday, February 22, 2012

unexpected "holiday"

okay ... so you might think I have been on holidays since I left Canada three weeks ago; however ... this has not quite been the case.  My students, the program, the other volunteers ... I adore it all.  No complaints whatsoever.  Even the challenging aspects of being here and working with a foundation who has different ideas and ways of operating than mine have become a part of the entire experience and I accept it all wholeheartedly (is that all one word?). 


In true Carribbean/Colombian fashion - I discovered I had a week with no classes due to Carnival (Colombia's version of Mardis Gras) pretty much the day before it began.  Why does no one look ahead and warn others of changes of plans and massive annual events?  "No se?!"/I have no idea.  But it is the way it is here.  Great balancing therapy for someone who puts an extra "pre" in front of her prepare. 

(excuse the borrowed photos)


So ... I have just enjoyed nearly a week with absolute free time!  No schedule and nothing to keep me in one place.  A little "holiday".


What have I been up to?  ... Carnival??? 

Would you believe the answer is no?  This dancing queen who seeks music, culture, people, tradition, novelty and energy is also someone who avoids prolonged time among crowds and relishes in the balance of downtime and stillness.

Where to go for the balance of it all?

HERE ...




Introducing just one of the many amazing beaches that Colombia's national park, "Parque Tayrona" has to offer:  "Playa Brava" - a private beach and massive parcel of land resembling Jurassic Park purchased by a local friend's parents prior to the area deemed "national park".  It is a three hour trek through the jungle - home to lions, pumas, howing monkeys, unique birds, and many "interesting" insects.  A touch edgy and totally amazing

 

A current fad at home is drinking coconut water - It is said to have very high levels of potassium and minerals making it marketable as a "natural energy drink".  No news to the Caribbean, of course.  This past year I got on to it at home but I must say that it is not comparable to the real deal.





Another ever growing fad in North America is yoga.  Granted it does not have Caribbean roots .. but again, I must say that there is something about the practice that takes on a whole new level of enjoyment when you are in these surroundings.

Oh, to wake up to the sights and sounds of waves lapping against the sparkly sand and know that a morning practice of stretch and zen will warm you up quickly due to the hot sun and that the ocean is a welcome refreshment ... just cool enough to quench your body's thirst for equilibrium, but warm enough to be inviting any time of the day/night.  This is what I call HotYoga. 

Colombia ... I continue to fall for you.

And I continue to fall in love with my students.  Tomorrow, I become one.  My spanish classes finally commence in the morning (it takes a very long time to organize things here!)  By the afternoon I will be on my way to the girls after a week off and demo-ing a layered haircut.  Things are moving quickly but the girls are catching on so fast.  I've missed them despite being in paradise!  Updates about their progress to come.

 



2 comments:

  1. Wish I could be sipping coconut water with you Aims:). So glad to hear that you are loving it! That beach looks amazing!!!
    xo

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - Colombia is a really beautiful place and what it needs more than ever, is for people like you to fall in love with it. Its violent past continues to haunt its present - but all of that is changing. This place will have a bright future!

    Colombians really love to party and find any reason to do it. Do you know that on December 1st there is a big party here with fireworks and all just to celebrate the arrival of December? Now if that isn't celebrating the little things, what is?

    Continue finding your balance on the beautiful beaches!

    ReplyDelete