Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sirlis

She was the first person in Barrio Fundadores I met that very first day I stepped out of the cab from the city. Day one for Cutting Borders.   Her little brother (he can only be 4 years old) immediately takes the giant suitcase full supplies from my hands, brushing me away while beginning to move the heavy black bag with little Canadian flag ironed on the outside.  My first reaction was thinking, “Ummm…. Little man … that’s not for you!”  But within seconds I realize he just wants to help and I let him struggle along because his grin and gusto tell me he is more than happy to do so.  His big sister, Sirlis, looks to me like, “Is that okay?” and before you know it the two of us had begun our own way of communicating - Our own way of connecting. 

Her smile is bigger and brighter than I’ve ever seen and despite the challenges of growing up in a neighbourhood with extremely limited resources she is so well put together.  Her outfit is matching and her hair is pulled back.  She is beautiful on all sides … especially the in.

As the weeks go by Sirlis continues to be the first (and usually only) person on time and eagerly waiting for our arrival from the cab.  Same time … same place.  She is often waiting on the street for us because the cab or bus stops a little ways away from where we hold the classes.  She is my youngest student at just 18.  In fact, my translator and I helped to host an 18th birthday party for her in the city with other volunteers mid-February.  I kept thinking, “I’m so glad I’m here for this day.”  As well, she is always the last person to leave class because she is always helping to cleanup and politely walking us down the dirt road again towards where we catch the bus back into the city.  She is a wise old soul with caring eyes that watch over the little ones and she has a grace about her that you first notice in her delicate movements- and later learn about in her overall demeanor. 

To be 18 years old and not have already had a couple of kids is a very rare thing in this barrio.  She is practically an “old maid” now in the eyes of most fellow Fundadorians, and yet I see her as just beginning her young adulthood.  The fact that Sirlis hasn’t just accepted the norm of women being moms and not having their own goals and aspirations apart from that role is both surprising and refreshing to see. 

She is, undoubtedly, very unique.  She is, undoubtedly, special.
What I see in her eyes is:

-Both an awareness of her life situation’s limitations and an eagerness that overrides it.

-A young girl with many questions who is being guided by her own inner wisdom.

-Hope.

-Love.


What I learn about her:

She has finished “regular school”.  There are no opportunities to learn and grow for her here.  She has nothing to do each day so she helps all the younger children and takes care of them.  It doesn’t appear that she is resentful or frustrated – but you can’t help but see some sadness in her eyes because she isn’t being challenged.  Therefore, she isn’t being fulfilled. 

She wants to go to college one day.  College costs money.  Her beautiful family, of course, wants to support that dream but there are priorities in life and one of the top ones is food.  The reality is that after arranging the necessities in life sometimes there just isn’t much leftover. 

But by no surprise Sirlis has a plan.   Not only will she continue to use her new skill of haircutting, she will also take a course that enables her to apply for cashier jobs in the city and start to save money for college herself.  It’s a brilliant plan!  And unfortunately there’s also a glitch.  This course takes months and it charges weekly.  If you can’t pay each week and miss a certain number of classes then you get booted out.  Sirlis is close to the cut off and she had just begun classes.

How Cutting Borders helped:

I don’t think you need to read on to figure it out … Her classes are now pre-paid and she definitely will not get kicked out of the certificate program.  Conversely, she will most definitely become a cashier in a few months’ time and begin her college saving fund.  With the leftover funds generated for Cutting Borders (approximately $300 CAN) I had the absolute honour of presenting Sirlis’ family with enough cash to soon add an “ier” to the end of it, as well as get a little base going for the college piggy bank. 

When I met her mom on the street corner the day after she received the school fund she had tears of gratitude and kept saying that God had sent me to them and that it was a miracle.  Without disrespecting her beliefs it was important for me to explain that the money might seem like a miracle but it was gathered with intention and effort from many people.  I explained that it had come from the collective efforts of my community in Canada and that, without knowing Sirlis in advance, we were all very happy to reach out and help to create opportunity where one was needed and deserving.  That money came from people who were able and willing and I was simply the very fortunate girl to deliver the love. 

Regardless, it is said by both Sirlis and her mother that I have enough angels surrounding me to not only stay safe on my own but I can take back those blessings to everyone in Canada that helped make this all possible.

As it turns out … I have become an expert transporter.  Coming here I had a big black suitcase full of tools and a program to deliver.  Now, when I head back to Canada, I will carry a thousand blessings with me on the plane and – once again – be the fortunate individual who gets to share that back.

Perhaps I can add “expert transporter” to my resume.
Thank you, Sirlis.  You see me as providing you with an opportunity; however, I believe it is the other way around.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful girl and I am so pleased she received the money but most importantly that you both received the most important thing in life ... friendship. You will be coming home soon with so many wonderful experiences that will last you a life time.

    lots of love .. Delma

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very heartwarming story. I'm so happy for everyone involved in this experience. Take care Amy!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring story and young woman....if any more fundraising transpires to help her achieve her goals, please count me in...your life will never be the same Amy....you have been touched by humanity in a way few get to experience <3

    ReplyDelete