Sunday, January 1, 2012

30 day countdown ...

Happy New Year!  Hasn't it come quickly?


And quickly is the rate at which my next trip commences.  In 30 days I depart for Colombia where I will be bringing tools and education to underpriviliged and deserving young adults living in barrios (neighbourhoods) just outside of the city, Santa Marta. 




Thanks to the overwhelming support of:  Family, friends, co-workers, clients, and the community I am so fortunate to be a part of ... Together we have been raising funds to support this project. 


I feel so lucky to be the spearheader.  Most people are curious how I got involved and the short answer is that a curiosity about a culture had me google existing grass-roots organizations in Colombia and when www.fmacolombia.weebly.com came up I fired off an email inquiring about how I might help out.  When they learned I was going to be in their area for a month they asked if I was interested in starting a new program and I thought, "Why not?"  And so the journey began.




My past seven weeks have been spent researching, fundraising and developing the program's curriculum in my spare time.  In fact, I have pretty much deleted the whole "spare time" part of my life, but when you combine curiosity + passion it somehow = extra energy and attention. 


I've been learning a lot and I'm looking forward to delivering this creation that we call "Cutting Borders".

2 comments:

  1. WAHOO!!! This is gonna be a wild ride and we are all fortunate to have you as our guide.
    Love love love you!

    ReplyDelete